What Kids Learn From This STEAM Activity
The STEAM activity, Shaving Cream Marble Art, is a cool project for kids. They get to be creative by making colorful patterns with shaving cream and food coloring. They mix colors by dropping food coloring onto the shaving cream surface and create cool marble-like patterns on paper. This activity helps them understand color mixing and how different colors interact. It also introduces them to the concept of density as they see the paint float on the shaving cream. It’s a creative and hands-on way to explore both art and science concepts. Overall, it’s a fun way for kids to learn and have a good time!
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What We Need For This STEAM Activity
- Shaving cream (the foamy kind, not the gel type)
- Paper (thicker paper like cardstock or watercolor paper works best, but you can also use regular paper)
- Liquid watercolor paints or food coloring in various colors
- A shallow tray, cookie sheet or baking dish (to hold the shaving cream)
- A tray (for placing and drying artwork)
- A Spoon or spatula
- A wooden stick, plastic spoon, or straw (for swirling the paint)
- Paper towels
How to Do the STEAM Activity Shaving Cream Marble Art
- Squirt Shaving Cream: Spread a layer of shaving cream evenly on the tray or cookie sheet (or large baking dish).
- Smooth the Surface: Smooth out the shaving cream with a spoon.
- Drop Paint: Add drops of liquid watercolor paint or food coloring randomly onto the shaving cream.
- Swirl Colors: Use a stick, spoon, or straw to gently swirl and mix the colors together in the shaving cream.
- Prepare Paper: Cut paper to fit the shaving creme tray or baking sheet. Cut the paper into smaller pieces if you want to fit multiple sheets.
- Press Paper: Place a sheet of paper on top of the colorful shaving cream and press it down gently. Do the same for the other paper.
- Lift Paper: Carefully lift the paper off the shaving cream surface.
- Scrape Excess: Use a stick or ruler to scrape off excess shaving cream from the paper.
- Let Dry: Place the paper aside to dry completely.
- Admire Your Art: Once dry, you’ll have a beautiful, marbled painting with unique patterns and colors.
Variations & Challenges
- Texture Experiment: Before dropping paint, try adding various textured items like plastic forks, sponges, or combs to create unique patterns when you swirl the colors.
- Color Mixing: Challenge kids to experiment with primary colors (red, blue, yellow) to learn about color mixing and create secondary colors (orange, green, purple) on their artwork.
- Themed Art: Encourage kids to create themed art by choosing colors that represent a specific season, holiday, or favorite storybook character.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Marbling Paint Kits
TMOL Marbling Paint Art Kit
Marbling Paint Art Kit for Kids
Arts & Crafts For Kids Water Marbling Paint Kit
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!