What Kids Learn From This STEAM Activity
In this STEAM activity, Oreo Fractions, kids learn about fractions by using the creamy filling inside Oreos to represent parts of a whole. They divide the cookies into halves, thirds, and more, gaining a hands-on understanding of fractions. This activity combines math while enjoying a tasty treat and makes learning enjoyable and memorable, fostering a positive attitude towards learning in general. Children also develop essential math skills, such as recognizing fractions, practicing division, and understanding equivalent fractions.
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What We Need For This STEAM Activity
How To Do STEAM Activity Oreo Fractions
- Begin by explaining what fractions are, emphasizing that they involve dividing something into equal parts.
- Cut 2 pieces of paper into half.
- Write fractions on each paper, leaving enough room for Oreo cookies for each fraction. (halves, two halves, one-third, two-thirds, three-thirds, one-fourth, two-fourths, three-fourths, four-fourths)
- Take one Oreo and gently twist it apart to reveal the creme-filled center.
- Put each creme-filled Oreo half cookies to above each fractions.
- Using a toothpick, scrape off creme part to make each fractions.
Variations & Challenges
- Introduce mixed numbers by combining whole Oreos with fraction Oreos, like 1 and 1/2 Oreo.
- Have kids compare the sizes of different Oreo fractions and order them from smallest to largest.
- Challenge kids to find equivalent fractions using different Oreo pieces, like showing that 2/4 is equal to 1/2 using Oreo halves and quarters.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Learning Fractions Tools For Kids
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!