What Kids Learn From This STEAM Activity
In the Make Homemade Butter STEAM activity, kids learn how to turn cream into butter through a simple process of shaking or mixing. This hands-on experience helps them understand the science of emulsion, where fat molecules come together and separate from the liquid in cream to create butter. They also gain insights into the physical changes that occur when you agitate a mixture, leading to a tasty and educational outcome that connects science and food in a fun and engaging way.
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What We Need For This STEAM Activity
- Whipping creme
- Jar with a lid such as a mason jar
- 2 Bowls
- 1 Spoon
How to Do the STEAM Activity Making Butter
- Pour whipping cream into a clean, airtight container and seal the container tightly.
- Shake the container vigorously for about 15-18 minutes.
- After a while, you’ll hear the sound of liquid sloshing inside (buttermilk).
- Continue shaking until you see solid butter forming.
- Once the butter is fully formed, strain out the buttermilk.
- Pat the butter dry with a paper towel or a clean cloth.
- Your homemade butter is ready to use or store in the refrigerator. Butter hardens in the fridge.
Variations & Challenges
- Flavored Butter: Add herbs, spices, honey, or other seasonings to the whipping cream before shaking to create flavored butter.
- Sweet Butter: Mix in sugar and vanilla for a sweet butter spread.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!