What Kids Are Learning For This STEAM Activity, STEM Activity
When kids engage in a STEAM activity, craft activity like making a jewelry box, they learn a variety of important skills. They develop their creativity by designing and decorating the box, while also improving their fine motor skills by handling small pieces. They gain an understanding of basic engineering principles as they assemble the box and use math to measure and plan. Additionally, this craft activity helps them practice patience and attention to detail, as well as problem-solving as they figure out how to make the box functional and aesthetically pleasing. Overall, it’s a fun and hands-on way for kids to learn and apply a range of skills while creating something special.
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What You Need For This STEAM Activity, STEM Activity
- 6inch Large wooden sticks
- 4 inch popsicle sticks
- Glue (multi purpose glue or wood glue)
- Gemstone stickers
- Bead (for a handle)
How To Do The STEAM Activity, Craft Activity, Make A Jewery Box
*For this activity, allow time for glue to dry each steps.
*Remember to use caution when handling glue, especially if kids are involved in this craft project. This activity allows for creativity, so feel free to customize the design to your liking.
- Make A Drawer: Make four sides and one bottom part to create a drawer.
For the bottom part of a drawer, glue 12 small sticks together, and then 4 pieces as shown in the picture.
For the two sides and back part of the drawer, glue 7 small sticks together.
For the front part of the drawer, glue 8 small sticks together.
- Make a Bench: For the bench seat, glue 7 big sticks together and create two sets.
For the bench seat sides (to cover the drawer), glue 7 sticks together and make two sets.
- Attach The Sides: Glue the sides of the bench seat to the bottom part of the bench. Ensure that the drawer fits inside the glued bench frame.
- Make a Bench Top: Glue 5 large sticks together to create a bench top, and attach two small sticks as shown in the picture below.
- Decorate: You can paint or decorate your jewelry drawer box with various materials like paint, markers, stickers, or decorative paper to make it unique and appealing. I used gem stickers for decoration.
- Add A Handle.: If you want handles on your drawers, attach small wooden or decorative pieces to the front of each drawer using glue. I used a bead as a handle.
- Finish The Bench: Attach one large popsicle stick to the top bench piece you made previously as shown below. Glue that popsicle stick part to the back of the bench.
- Your Jewerly Box Is Ready!: Once the box is dry, you can place your jewelry inside the drawers. You now have a homemade jewelry box!
Variations & Challenges
- Mixed Materials: Instead of using only large wooden sticks and popsicle sticks, encourage creativity by incorporating other materials like cardboard, fabric, or small plastic containers to create a more diverse and unique jewelry box.
- Themed Boxes: Have kids create themed jewelry boxes, such as a “Nature-Inspired” box where they incorporate leaves and twigs into the design, or a “Sparkly and Glittery” box with sequins and glitter decorations.
- Measurement Challenge: Have kids measure and plan the dimensions of their jewelry drawer box using specific measurements or ratios. This challenges their math and precision skills.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Jewerly Box Craft Kit
PURPLE LADYBUG Design Your Own Jewelry Box Kids Craft Kit
Melissa & Doug Created by Me! Jewelry Box Wooden Craft Kit
Matty’s Toy Stop Design & Paint Your Own Wooden Jewelry Box Set
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!