What Kids Are Learning
Children can explore the principles of force, motion, and energy as they build and use their marshmallow shooters. They learn about potential and kinetic energy when they stretch the shooter and release it to propel the marshmallow. This is a really fun toy. My daughter played with it for days!
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What You Need
How To Make A Pompom Shooter – STEAM Activity
- Cut the bottom part of a plastic cup.
- Cut off the neck or narrow top part of the balloon. You will be using the wider, open end of the balloon for the shooter.
- Take the open end of the balloon and stretch it over the open end of the plastic cup. Make sure it fits securely and is airtight.
- Tape the balloon to the cup so that the balloon stays securely attached to the cup.
- Place a pompom or a marshmallow inside the balloon and hold it.
- Pull the balloon back like you’re stretching a slingshot.
- Have fun!
Variations & Challenges
- Try different materials as balls such as scrunched paper towel balls or ping pong balls.
- Experiment with different amounts of air in the balloon and how far you stretch it to see how it affects the distance the marshmallow can travel!
- Do games! See who can shoot the farthest or who can get the pompom in the basket using a pompom shooter.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!