What Kids Learn From This STEAM Activity
In the STEAM Activity, Pom-Pom Math Challenge with paper towel rolls on a tray, kids learn about rolling objects and numbers while having a blast. By placing the paper towel rolls strategically, they create paths for pompoms to roll in different directions, discovering how obstacles affect movement. Adding numbers to the rolls, like counting by 3s, makes it a math adventure too. As they guide pompoms along the rolls, they’re not only exploring motion but also practicing math skills in an engaging way. It’s an awesome hands-on activity where learning about motion and math comes together in a fun and creative play!
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What We Need For This STEAM Activity
How To Do STEAM Activity Pompom Math Challenge
- Cut paper towel rolls into shorter sections.
- Write numbers counting by 3s (3, 6, 9, etc.) on the sections.
- Place the sections on a tray and tape them.
- Put pompoms at the start of the sections.
- Count aloud by 3s in order as you roll. Watch the pompoms roll along the sections.
- Have fun exploring motion and math together and talk about paths and numbers after.
Variations & Challenges
- Introduce additional elements like small ramps, tunnels, or cardboard obstacles to make the pompom’s journey more complex.
- Write a mix of counting patterns on the paper towel roll sections, such as counting by 2s, 5s, and 10s, to challenge kids with different sequences.
- Set challenges, like aiming for specific numbers by adding or subtracting.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!