What Kids Learn From This STEAM Activity
In this cool STEAM activity, Lifting Ice Cubes With a String, kids learn that when they put salt on ice and press a string into it, the ice starts to melt a little. This happens because the salt makes the ice get warmer and turn into water. Then, when the water freezes again, it grabs onto the string, like freezing it in place. So, when they pull the string gently, the ice comes up with it! It’s like magic, but it’s really science, showing how things can change when we mix them together.
This post contains affiliated links. Please read my disclosure page.
What We Need For This STEAM Activity
How To Do STEAM Activity Lifting Ice Cube With A String
- Put a few ice cubes in the bowl.
- Add cold water to the bowl with ice cubes.
- Place the string on top of one (or two) of the ice cubes.
- Sprinkle salt over the string on the ice cube (or ice cubes) and gently press it.
- Leave the ice cube with the string and wait a few minutes.
- Carefully pull the string; you might lift the ice cube from the water!
- Observe what happens and think about why the ice lifts because of the salt.
Variations & Challenges
- Make predictions before each experiment. What do you think will happen if you use very little salt? What if you use a lot?
- Challenge yourself to explain why the ice lifts when salt is added. Can you explain it to someone else?
- Try the experiment with different amounts of salt or ice.
PLEASE SHARE THIS POST WITH YOUR FRIENDS OR LEAVE ME A COMMENT! 🙂
Check Out Our Other STEAM Activities!